Green Roof Substrates
Green Roof Substrates are specifically engineered for different types of roof greening, both for domestic and commercial projects
Our growing media mixtures have been carefully designed to contain various properties essential for their purpose. For green roof substrates this includes;
- Low bulk density
- Ability to retain sufficient water for plant growth
- Ability to be free draining to prevent saturation
- Low nutrient content to prevent excessive plant growth
- Sufficient porosity (ensuring good aeration within the growing medium)
All our green roof substrates contain recycled secondary aggregates (like crushed brick) and an organic component (soil / compost), which are blended together in different ratios for various green roof substrate blends.
- Extensive Green Roof Substrates are for use on shallow green roof systems (<200mm depth) and are often associated with Sedum mat, Sedum plug plant or wildflower planting.
- Intensive Green Roof Substrates are engineered to suit larger vegetation, such as shrubs and trees. Intensive green roofs can be considered “roof gardens”.
- Semi Intensive Green Roof substrates have a range of hydraulic conductivity values, allowing them to be utilized in a range of climatic areas
- Podium Green Roof Substrates are designed for landscaping projects where weight loading is not an issue. Its high sand content provides a stable growing medium for a wide range of plants.
- Extra Light Green Roof Substrates provide an ideal growing media for green roofs where weight loading is an issue.
Our green roof substrate blends are modified to suit the majority of Green roof applications so please get in touch with us for the best substrate for your project.